Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Pumpkin Muffins


We love these muffins around here. Like most things, I have altered it from the original recipe. I like to think they are somewhat healthy, but really, they are a treat! I originally got the recipe from a good friend in Liverpool, NY. When I tasted them I knew I wanted to have that recipe!

Pictured above are mini muffins, which I love to make at this time in my life especially because my children are so young. The size is perfect for them!

As usual, I will put my changes in red:

Pumpkin Muffins


1 big can or 2 regular sized cans of pumpkin

1 2/3 cups sugar

2/3 cup vegetable oil (I use 1/3 cup oil 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce)

2 tsp vanilla

1 tsp cinnamon

½ tsp ground cloves

4 large eggs

3 cups All-purpose flour (I like to put in 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup wheat germ)

2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

½ tsp baking powder

(Lately, we also add 2 tablespoons of flax seed meal for added nutrition)

raisins, nuts, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips (just eye how much you think you want- we love mini chocolate chips and white chocolate chips)

Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Mix last 4 (5 if using flax seed meal) ingredients and add to pumpkin mixture. Fold in whatever add-ins you choose, if desired.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick in center of muffins comes out clean. For miniature muffins, it takes about half the time to bake. I just keep a good eye on them and test with a toothpick for doneness. Yield: Approx. 36 muffins (these are normal sized muffins- so it makes A LOT! I most often cut the recipe in half)

These muffins freeze very well. It is nice to make a big batch and freeze some to have for later.

1 comment: