Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Oat Waffles


So, it was one of those nights. . . I had my menu all planned out, even had the beef thawed in the refrigerator, and just didn't feel like making the Enchiladas. So, we had waffles instead. I am always looking for healthier ways to do classic breakfast foods and came across this one on All-recipes, that came from Taste of Home, apparently. We quite enjoyed it and I made it even healthier than they said!

Here goes:

Oat Waffles

Ingredients

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour (I actually used 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 all-purpose)
  • 1 cup oat flour* (I used Old Fashioned Oats and ground them in my food prosessor, because that is what I had- a little heartier than it would be with the Quick Cooking Oats, but we liked it)
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 3/4 cups fat-free milk
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

  1. In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Combine the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Pour batter by 1/2 cupfuls into a preheated waffle iron; bake according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown.

Footnotes

*Editor's Note: 1-1/4 cups quick-cooking oats, processed in a blender or food processor until finely ground, may be substituted for the oat flour.

And, some bonus pictures of my girls enjoying their waffles. I know, it's weird, they like it eat them whole and pick them up with their hands. It's a little sticky, but it's less work for me! (Especially nice when the baby wants food and wants it NOW!)

No comments:

Post a Comment