Monday, June 21, 2010

Fruit Pizza

The first time I ever remember having fruit pizza was for my birthday when I was a little girl. I have never really been a big fan of cake, so my mom made me a fruit pizza instead. (My basic philosophy when it comes to cake is: Why eat cake when you can have a brownie?!) I thought it was cool. I have made it a couple other times to bring to various events and it is always a hit. I made this particular one this past weekend and everyone loved it! I used Our Best Bites Sugar Cookie Recipe, which I have posted before and used the fruit I had in the house. The topping and glaze recipe came from Taste of Home. Here's how I did it:

Fruit Pizza

Start with the crust, which is made of a sugar cookie.

Here is the Sugar Cookie Recipe from Our Best Bites:

1 C real butter (no substitutions!)
1 C sugar
1 egg (make sure to use a large or extra large egg)
1 1/2 t almond extract (or other flavor of your choice, like vanilla)
3 C flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt


Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy- about 2 minutes. Add in egg and extract and mix to incorporate.

In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt and whisk to co
mbine. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until completely combined.

Press into a 12 inch pizza pan. I plopped the dough on the cookie sheet and then used a rolling pin to spread it to the edges. (I also made a miniature pizza on a separate pan since I had plenty of dough. My husband and daughters felt special having some of the special dessert I made for my Relief Society picnic!)

Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. Watch it to make sure it is done, but not overdone.

While the crust is baking make the glaze:

1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup orange juice

For glaze, combine the sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Stir in the water and orange juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. (I just stuck it in the freezer in a separate bowl for a couple of minutes)

When cooled, spread with
Topping:
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup whipped topping (I actually left this out and it was fine.)

(Beat together the cream cheese and powdered sugar. Then, fold in the whipped topping.)

Arrange sliced fruit on top. I used strawberries, blueberries, banana, mandarin oranges. Kiwi looks fantastic on it, I just didn't have any.

Finally, Brush Glaze over the fruit.

Store in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment