Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Mongolian Beef


I love stir-fry. I was so pleased when I made this recipe. It was one of those dishes that I liked so well I licked my plate when I was done. Hee hee hee. I've made it twice now and my girls have gobbled it up both times. I even enjoy the leftovers!

The recipe came from a friend of ours in Potsdam, whom we refer to as the Renaissance Man, because he is so talented in so many different areas (cooking being one). Apparently, Mongolian Beef is traditionally just beef and green onions, but we like a variety of vegetables in there.

Mongolian Beef


1 lb. Sirloin Steak, cut into small strips
6 cups assorted vegetables (I used broccoli, onions, red pepper, carrots and celery in the picture, I believe)

Sauce ingredients:
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 T sugar
1 T rice vinegar
1 tsp red pepper flakes (I used 1/4 tsp when I made it for the girls- Kenneth would have enjoyed more)
1/4 tsp fresh pepper (I used ground pepper)
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 T water
2 tsp cornstarch

Marinate the beef in 3 Tbs soy sauce and 1 tsp oil. I usually do this earlier in the day and keep it covered in the refrigerator. But, you could just do this step first and let it marinate just during the time you are chopping vegetables.

Next, cut up your vegetables. Set aside in piles according to cooking time.

Here is a great resource for cooking order from the Renaissance Man himself:

  • Put in first:

onions

ginger

garlic

  • Longest cooking veggies:

Cabbage

Carrots

Broccoli

Cauliflower

  • Shorter cooking veggies:

Summer squash/ zucchini

Green beans

Celery

Bean Threads (soak in water for a few minutes first)

  • Add to heat through:

Leeche nuts

Bamboo shoots

Mushrooms

Mini-corn

Egg

  • Add off the heat:

Snow peas

Bean sprouts

Sesame oil

Nuts

So, after you have that taken care of, prepare your sauce. Set aside.


Heat up 1/4 cup of oil in a wok or large pan. Cook meat over highest heat just until it is cooked. Set aside, covered. Next add veggies, longest cooking first. Cook over highest heat, stirring constantly. Pushe veggies to the side and pour in sauce ingredients. As soon as the sauce comes to a boil, stir it into the veggies that were pushed to the side and add the meat. Serve at once over rice. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Made this while my parents were visiting and oh my goodness we all loved it! Thanks Heidi!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally made this tonight and everyone LOVED it - they kept eating and eating which hasn't happened for awhile in our house! :) Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete