Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Chicken Fajitas


This is one of my tried and true recipes. I got it about 5 years ago from a coworker and have enjoyed making it ever since. She got it from Taste of Home Magazine. I have tweeked it slightly. Kenneth absolutely LOVES this meal and my girls eat it happily. (I love it, too, of course) And. . .leftovers are great! I hope you all enjoy!

Chicken Fajitas

(Taste of Home)


4 Tbls. vegetable oil, divided
2 Tbls lime juice + zest of one lime (under duress you may use bottled lemon or lime juice, I have used all the above. The original recipe said lemon juice)
1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (I use less when making it for the kids, like 1/8 of a tsp or less)
1 1/2 lbs. boneless chicken breast cut in strips (For the picture above I used just one large breast)
1/2 med. red pepper cut in strips (I use a whole one)
1/2 medium green pepper cut in strips (I use a whole one)
4 green onions, thinly sliced (I usually leave this out, unless I happen to have some around)
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion (I use however much I feel like using)
Chopped Cliantro, Shredded Cheese, Salsa, Sour Cream and Tortillas


In large resealable plastic bag, combine 2 Tbsp oil, lime juice, zest and seasonings. Add chicken, seal and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 1-4 hours. In a large skillet sauté peppers and onions in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm. In same skillet, cook chicken and marinade over med-high heat for 5-6 minutes or until meat is cooked. Return peppers and onions to pan and heat through. Serve with tortillas and toppings.
Yield: 6 servings.

2 comments:

  1. Fajitas are one of Joe's very favorite meals (but I never make them!) so I'm totally trying these. I'm sure they'll be delicious. Thanks Miss Heidi:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sounds SOOOO good! I think I'll put them on my menu this week!

    ReplyDelete