Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Cinnamon Oatmeal Pancake Mix

So, Healthy Breakfast around here just got easier! I made up this mix and all I have to do now in the mornings is add the wet ingredients and cook. I mix it right up in a gallon sized zip top bag and store it in the fridge. I wrote what I need to add to it right on the bag to make life easier.

These are so filling and wonderful! I replaced some of the all-purpose flour with wheat germ. I will put that change in
red. I found this recipe on Mr. Breakfast.com. To feed my little family (2 adults, 2 small children) 1 cup of the mix plus the appropriate liquid ingredients was sufficient on a normal day. We love real maple syrup on these. Homemade jam is a second choice. If you really want to be healthy, try mashed banana or some yogurt. They are filling and yummy. My girls will even eat the leftovers plain for a snack! (Fabulous since there is not a stitch of sugar in them!
Sorry I didn't take a picture- they just look like pancakes anyway!

Cinnamon Oatmeal Pancake Mix
(24 servings)

  • 4 cups quick cooking oats
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour (or 1 cup all-purpose flour and 1 cup of wheat germ)
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup non-fat dry milk
  • 3 Tablespoons baking powder
  • 2 Tablespoons cinnamon
  • 1 and 1/4 Tablespoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Makes about 8 cups.

Pretty simple... just combine all ingredients (in a decorative jar if giving as a gift). Seal tightly and store in a cool place (refrigerator is as good as anyplace).

To Prepare:

Ingredients: 2 cups of mix above, 2 eggs, 1/3 cup vegetable oil and 1 cup water.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Beat in the vegetable oil. Next, mix in the mix alternately with the water. (Truthfully, I mix the wet ingredients in a large glass measuring cup and then just dump it into a bowl on the mix. Much easier. I have also noticed that sometimes I need to add a little more water- especially when I am going to cook the second round of pancakes. (Maybe it's the wheat germ I added soaking up the liquid.)
Scoop in heaping Tablespoon amounts per pancake onto a lightly greased skillet set at medium-high heat. Cook until the tops show broken bubbles (2 to 3 minutes). Turn and cook about 2 to 3 minutes more, until golden brown. Makes 12 5-inch pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment