Friday, February 26, 2010

Carmels 2 ways, equally delicious!


Ahh Caramel- one of my favorite flavors on this earth! (Go figure- it has my two favorite ingredients in it- butter and cream!) I know, I know I just talked about being healthier in my last post, but come on, you need a treat every now and then. I love making these at Christmas time and giving them to people. That is actually usually the ONLY time I make them.
The picture shows the caramels wrapped in special candy wrappers you can buy at a craft store. Wax paper works just as well.

I included a traditionally made recipe which came from a good friend in Potsdam, NY and a Microwave recipe which is SO EASY and equally delish, which came from a book called, Delicious Conversation. Believe me, you will love sharing these at Christmas time (and eating more than a few yourself!!!!)


Traditionally made Caramels, in other words, you will need a candy thermometer!


Mix in a large heavy bottomed sauce pan:

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup milk
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup of whipping cream

Cook to 246 degrees, stirring constantly.

Pour immediately into a buttered 7 x 12 pan. Cool. Cut into squares, then wrap in waxed paper.


Microwave Caramels

½ cup of each of the following:
melted butter
brown sugar
white sugar
light corn syrup
sweetened condensed milk

Combine all ingredients and stir well, making sure there are no lumps of brown sugar. Microwave on high 5-6 minutes (all microwaves vary), do not stir. Pour into greased 8” x 8” dish. Cool and serve. Use for making turtles or slice and wrap individually in waxed paper.




No comments:

Post a Comment