Thursday, February 25, 2010

Butternut Bisque

The first time I had Butternut Bisque was in the chilly Fall in Potsdam, NY. When I tasted it, I thought it was divine and could have drunk a whole gallon! No wonder! It was made from butternut squash, cream, butter (two of my most favorite things in the world!!) and. . .maybe a little salt and pepper. So, when I recently came across this version I was very pleased that it was a little healthier and still quite tasty. I have changed it slightly from how it was presented to me; namely, it called for cayenne pepper and I would definitely leave that out (maybe my girls would have eaten it without). I felt like it marred the deliciousness. But, for you hot and spicy fans, feel free to try it with! I reccommend roasting the squash in the morning and then it's ready for the final preparations later.

Butternut Bisque

3 Tbp. butter
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
salt to taste
1 large butternut squash (about 4 lbs.)
1 can (14.5 oz.) reduced-sodium chicken broth (I used boullion to make the amount needed)
1 c. half and half ( or cream if that is what you have in the house! Yum!)
1 Tbp. fresh lemon juice
sour cream, for serving

1. Cut squash in half longways and place it cut sides down in a large jelly roll pan with 1/2 inch of water. Bake for about an hour at 350. (It should be soft when poked with a fork) When cool enough, you can scoop the flesh right out of the skin (or peel the skin off, whatever seems easier).
2. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium. Add onions, garlic, thyme, cinnamon. Season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Add squash, broth, half and half, and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook about 20 minutes.
4. Working in batches, puree in a blender until smooth. (You'll need a big bowl for that) Dump all the pureed soup back in the pot. Stir in lemon juice; season with salt. Serve bisque with sour cream, garnished with paprika, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment