Thursday, February 25, 2010

Healthy Banana Nut Muffins


Well, I say I am starting this blog and then don't touch it for a couple of weeks- that's life with 3 little ones and a husband who is working and taking 2 classes, I suppose!

So, I really am trying to prepare healthier foods for my family. For a while I had been just preparing pretty easy things (mac and cheese 3 days a week for lunch!) Don't get me wrong, we always have vegetables and fruit with it and I really try to add variety at dinner time, but I still wasn't seeking out the best choices. I am also feeling the need to eat more healthily now that I have carried three children and the weight is not leaving me as fast as it did before. Plus, I hate to admit it, but I really do feel better when I eat better. (Wow- what a revelation.)

So, recently, I have been concentrating on breakfast type foods in my initial quest for healthier habits. I used to always make regular pancakes, waffles, yogurt or just cold cereal- not sugar cereals, but still. To start, I bought some whole wheat flour and wheat germ and have been trying to incorporate them in my life. I also read recently, which I thought was a fabulous idea, to buy a big carton of plain yogurt and mix it with the smaller flavored ones to cut down on the amount of sugar in the yogurt you are eating. I always think the little cartons taste too sweet anyway. My little 3 year old doesn't even seem to mind!

Now, as for the banana nut muffins. . . I found the recipe at www.notonlypizza.com which I then changed to conform to my ingredients on hand. Emma ate one and a half when they came out, a half of a muffin at a time (kept asking for more). They are very filling and you feel so good about eating something that is actually fairly good for you! I must admit, my bad side wanted to spread some butter all over the finished product. (I would have too, except that I didn't have any softened and was trying to nurse a baby while eating.) So, here is what I ended up with:

Healthy Banana Nut Muffins

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 Tbsp. honey*
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted tastes best (put them on a pan and stick them in the oven while it is preheating until they are fragrant 5-10 minutes)
  • 1/2 cup whole plain yogurt, or a combination of nonfat plain yogurt with some sour cream to make 1/2 cup
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350° F and place oven rack to middle position. Grease with olive oil a 12 cup muffin pan or two 6 cup pans.
Sift together flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas and set them aside.
In another large bowl whisk the eggs lightly with honey then add 1 cup of flour and mix until well combined. Add the yogurt, the other cup of flour and the oil.
Fold in the bananas and then the walnuts.
Scrape the batter in the muffin pan and cook for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Note:
* These muffins are not overly sweet, if you prefer them sweeter double or triple the dose. Or heck- if you really aren't trying to be healthy, add sugar!!

No comments:

Post a Comment