Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day to Me! {Lemon Poppy Seed Scones}

I could try and say that I was selfless and made this breakfast for my dear sweet ones, but it wouldn't be truthful. Kenneth likes to eat the same thing every morning: 2 fried eggs, one piece of toast and COLD milk. As in, don't pour it and let it sit on the table while you make breakfast. He likes it cold.

So, I didn't really make these for him. I'll save one for him, though. Maybe he'll eat it. The children, on the otherhand, were chomping at the bit for breakfast and don't like to wait while I make something like this. Nevermind that I had it ready at 7:20. It's still too long for my early-rising children to wait.

As for me, I enjoyed every bite. I simply love butter. And scones have got some butter, let me tell you. As I was grating the butter into the bowl this morning, Kenneth passed by on his way out the door and said, isn't that a lot of butter? To which I promptly replied, as I tried to keep from salivating, "It sure is."

We've been trying to eat healthier foods over the course of the last year or so. I guess I mean to say more natural foods. As in more butter as opposed to artificially flavored and colored candies =). So, instead of buying candy for Valentine's Day as I might have in the past I bought these for our treat today:

Don't worry, though. I am not completely without a chocolate loving heart. Kenneth is having a Valentine's Day 'party' at work today. I made these for him to bring (and ate about 6 myself along the way:
Of course I had a little left over chocolate and to please my sweetheart, did this:
Now, back to the scones. I got the recipe from Our Best Bites. Here is the link to the recipe. I, or course changed a few things, as I usually do (they're in red). I cut back the sugar slightly. I think even less sugar would have been good. I also cut the glaze in half. I always seem to have too much glaze/frosting/ icing which I think is so wasteful. In cutting this in half, I STILL had extra.
So, here is my version:

Lemon Poppy Seed Scones Recipe adapted by Heidi Larchar from Our Best Bites from Allrecipes
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour, lightly spooned into measuring cups and leveled with a knife
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon table salt (decrease or omit if using salted butter)
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (if using salted butter, cut down on salt)
1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
1 large egg
Zest of 1 lemon

GLAZE:
2 Tablespoons strained lemon juice
1 Tablespoon melted butter
1/2 cup + 2 1/2 Tablespoons powdered sugar

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400. Place baking rack in the middle-low position. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds. Add the lemon zest and whisk together again. Grate the frozen butter. Toss the grated butter into the flour mixture and combine it with your fingers until it resembles coarse meal. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and egg. Drizzle it over the flour mixture and then toss the mixture together with a fork until everything appears moistened. Gently press the dough into a ball–it will take some time and some parts of the dough will be more moist than other parts, but continue pressing together until it forms a ball.
Lightly flour a surface (you can use the lined baking sheet if you want) and place the dough on top of the floured surface. Press into an 8″ disc and cut into equal wedges with a butter knife (or pizza cutter). Separate the wedges and place them evenly on the baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-17 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from the oven.
While the scones are cooling slightly, whisk together the glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over the scones. Makes 8 scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment