Saturday, February 22, 2014

Cinnamon rolls- my way {deliciously healthified}

Made with a simple glaze rather than cream cheese frosting

About 3 years ago I got a hankering for cinnamon rolls.  It had been a while since I had made them or had them for that matter and I got online to search for a recipe.  I found one that looked incredible.  Kenneth tried to encourage me to sub some of the all-purpose flour out for whole-wheat flour, but I in my cinnamon roll craving scoffed at him and told him I just wanted to go all out for once and use all-purpose (I was really trying to live on the wild side).  So, I made them and they were awful.  Don't get me wrong, they were sweet and gooey and soft, but they were too much.  Sicky-sweet.  In fact, we ended up throwing away half the pan.  For those of you who may not know us well, that is quite unheard of around here- in general we DO NOT WASTE FOOD. 
So, then I was on a quest to make cinnamon rolls that would be perfect- for us anyway. I wanted them to be a treat, but still somewhat healthful. I'm sure that other version was perfect for someone else, or they wouldn't have published it!  I started with my mother-in-law's recipe that she always makes when we visit.  There were 2 reasons for this:
1) I've always enjoyed her cinnamon rolls
2)  I knew the title of her recipe is 'Quick Cinnamon Rolls' 
    I love that these are really fairly easy.  Not a long rising time, but they taste fantastic. 
This recipe actually came from the Friend Magazine years ago.  That is the magazine for the children in my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Since I have made so many changes, I think I can safely call this my own recipe.  I usually prep all the ingredients I can the night before so that it is easy the morning I want to make them.  Like measure the flour, salt, flax and cover.  Put butter in a ceramic bowl ready to be melted in the microwave in the morning.  Measure out the cinnamon and sugar.
So, here goes:
delicious!
Cinnamon rolls- my way (deliciously healthified)

1/4 cup honey
3 Tablespoons yeast
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1 1/4 cup warm water
2 beaten eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flax
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 Tablespoon cinnamon

Mix the honey, yeast, warm water, applesauce and oil in large bowl until yeast dissolves.  Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.  (Yeast will grow quickly and become quite frothy.)
Blend eggs into yeast mixture.  Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl and add to yeast mixture a little at a time to make a soft dough.
Knead 5 minutes (I use my Kitchen Aid to do this) on a floured counter.
Roll into a rectangle 1/4 " thick.
Combine the sugar and cinnamon.  Brush with the melted butter and sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon mixture.
Roll the dough up starting with the long edge.  Use a piece of floss to cut the dough into about 1- 1 1/2 inch pieces by sliding it under the roll, centering the floss, crossing over the ends and pulling them away from each other so the floss slices through the dough.  Place rolls into an un-greased rectangular pan (I usually use a 9x13 and another smaller pan.  Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
Bake for 10-15 minutes at 425 degrees or until golden brown.
You may put on the glaze, or cream cheese frosting at this point, while they are still warm.  I much prefer these with the cream cheese frosting.

Glaze

1- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons hot water
1/2 tsp butter
1/4 tsp vanilla

Mix until well blended.

Cream Cheese Frosting

I actually make this different ways depending on to whom I am serving it, or what I have on hand.  You could always use powdered sugar in place of the maple syrup.  This is my favorite version.  My husband prefers less frosting on his cinnamon rolls, so this cut is half would be enough for him, but I like more, so this is what I would make.  Plus, extra cream cheese frosting will always find a way to be used in my world. 

8 ounces Cream Cheese
2 Tablespoons softened butter
Splash vanilla (1/2-1 tsp)
2 Tablespoons maple syrup (or more to your liking)
With a mixer mix 8 ounces of cream cheese with 2 Tablespoons of softened butter.  Add a couple of tablespoons of maple syrup and a splash of vanilla.  Taste to test that it is to desired sweetness.  Add more maple syrup if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment